Have you ever stepped into your home, snuggled with your furry friend, then immediately encountered symptoms such as congestion, watery eyes, or an itchy throat? If so, you may be experiencing pet or indoor allergies. From dust and dander to mold and mites, pet and indoor allergies can cause an uncomfortable reaction in both adults and kids alike.
If you have allergies, your immune system creates antibodies that accidentally identify a particular allergen as harmful. This results in an overreaction from your immune system when you come into contact with the allergen. Your skin, sinuses, airways, or digestive system can become inflamed and irritated, but the good news is that Premier Allergy & Asthma offers solutions that can alleviate your pain for good.
If your eyes leak secretions, turn red, or become itchy after encountering pet dander, mold, dust, or mites, you may be experiencing an allergic reaction.
After breathing in pet dander, dust, or other similar particles, your throat may tighten and become scratchy. If you encounter this symptom, there is a chance that you are allergic to something within your home, which may include your pet.
Do you suddenly have a hard time breathing through your nose after entering your house or scratching Fido’s ears? If you are experiencing congestion or a runny and itchy nose, allergies may be the root issue at hand.
If you believe you are experiencing pet and indoor allergies, meeting with a trusted allergy specialist is your best bet at controlling and eradicating the reactions. However, you can take specific steps to minimize risk and create an allergy-free environment within your own home.
It’s important to create a space that lowers your chances of experiencing an allergic reaction. For example, if you believe that you may be allergic to your dog, prevent Fido from entering your bedroom so you can have a peaceful sleep.
If you struggle with indoor allergies, there are a variety of steps you can take to curate a space that doesn’t trigger a reaction. Cleaning, lowering your home’s humidity, and minimizing contact with allergens are all quick and effective ways to reduce your exposure to indoor allergies. If you think you may struggle with dust mites, for example, use allergen-blocking bedding to encase pillows and mattresses.
Scratch tests allow our team to determine the precise allergen causing your reaction without painful or invasive needles. First, your provider will place a minuscule amount of allergen on your forearm and perform a quick scratch or prick to the skin. A small, raised spot will form within 15-20 minutes if you are indeed allergic to a pet or indoor substance. Once the results are gathered and the specific allergen is identified, your provider will outline an immunotherapy treatment plan to help you build a tolerance to the allergen over time.
A patch test is a completely non-invasive method to determine your specific indoor or pet allergen. Your provider will begin by adding a variety of substances to a small patch before placing it on your back or forearm. You’ll wear the patch for two days, then return to our office to check for bumps, swelling, and other skin reactions. The patch test will show your provider the exact allergen that is causing a reaction. With this information, your provider can customize an immunotherapy treatment plan so you can achieve long-lasting relief.
Returning Patient? Please contact our office at (614) 328-9927 to schedule an appointment. Thank you.