Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that can be potentially life-threatening if not immediately treated. Also known as anaphylactic shock, anaphylaxis can develop sudden and severe reactions within seconds or minutes of exposure to an allergen. Common triggers include peanuts, bee stings, certain foods, some medications, or latex.
If you or your child undergo anaphylactic shock, you must conduct an epinephrine injection with an EpiPen and call our office at (614) 328-9927 for a follow-up visit. If you don't have access to an EpiPen or epinephrine, call 911 immediately. When left untreated, anaphylaxis can be fatal, so it’s important to get help right away.
When going into anaphylactic shock, you may experience dizziness, nausea, vertigo, and vomiting. If you begin to encounter these symptoms after coming in contact with an allergen, don’t wait to inject epinephrine.
The immune system creates antibodies to protect itself from harmful foreign substances, such as certain bacteria, viruses, or infections. However, there are individuals who have immune systems that overreact to harmless substances, such as food. These allergic reactions can be minor, but others, such as anaphylaxis, are much more severe.
During anaphylaxis, the immune system releases a flood of chemicals that can cause the body to go into shock. This manifests itself through a sudden drop in blood pressure, difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, and swollen or itchy skin.
At Premier Allergy & Asthma, we are proud to provide revolutionary immunotherapy programs that can help your body build a tolerance to allergens that cause a severe reaction. Over time, your provider will gradually administer increased doses of your allergen to decrease the sensitivity. Eventually, this treatment can dramatically reduce or even eliminate your allergy, keeping you free from the fear of anaphylaxis for good.