When your child’s immune system reacts to a specific substance, a physiological reaction can occur, causing pain, discomfort, or even life-threatening anaphylactic shock. These reactions are labeled as pediatric allergies.
If your child begins to form rashes and welts after consuming or coming in contact with a substance, they may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Similarly, shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing, a runny nose, and itchy, watery eyes are all common allergy symptoms among children. Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic symptom that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and fainting. Immediately call 911 if your child is experiencing this life-threatening reaction.
At Premier Allergy & Asthma, our providers are committed to finding the true root of your child’s reaction and constructing a plan that will ensure soothing relief for life. If you believe your child is having an allergic reaction, don’t hesitate to call us at (614) 328-9927 click to call schedule an appointment.
Natural rubber latex, aspirin, anti-convulsants, and other medications are common substances that can cause an allergic reaction in your child.
At Premier Allergy & Asthma, we’re dedicated to creating long-term solutions for your child’s allergies. However, finding swift relief when your little one is in pain is also a must. That’s where over-the-counter antihistamines come to the rescue.
Your child’s body releases a chemical called histamine when it undergoes an allergic reaction. This is what causes their noses to run, eyes to water, and skin to become itchy. Over-the-counter antihistamines block the effect of histamine and are a great temporary solution for your child’s discomfort.
While some antihistamines act in short bursts and should be taken every 4 to 6 hours, others provide prolonged relief and can be consumed every 12 to 24 hours. Children find that the most common antihistamine side effects include drowsiness and dry mouth, so we recommend you give them a dose before bed. With any medication, be sure to read the label to ensure you are giving your child an appropriate amount of antihistamines.
A patch test will be recommended for your child if they are experiencing symptoms from a contact allergen, such as poison ivy. Your provider will distribute a variety of allergens to a small patch, then place it on your child’s back or forearm. Your child will wear the patch for two days before returning for a second visit. Here, your provider will check your child’s skin for bumps, swelling, and other reactions. This test will show the exact allergen causing a reaction for your child, which will then help the provider outline a tailored immunotherapy treatment plan so your little one can achieve long-lasting relief.